David and The Lingering Sadness...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Busy Thankyou!*%*

Just a short post today, between classes. I am very busy since swallowing some of Kay's load. 16 classes a day to be precise. He only does 5 now, but you know me, anything to help an old friend.

I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all of you who read and comment on this site. Without you we are nothing.

A special mention goes to the following people:

Jack Spratt
Ulyses
The Sokcho Sicko (tone it down a bit please?)
John Bull

and

David Boddington (www.staypuff.net)

I love you all.

Also a special note to those blogs that continue to inspire.

www.Staypuff.net
Andy in Korea and his brother
Rebecca
3BT

and

Alex Gregory.

Right, back to class.

Peace

The D man

3 Comments:

  • At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Happy Gobble Gobble to you too and to the rest of our colleagues as well."

    This is an anonymous e-mail I recieved. If, I find out who sent it I'm going to kill them, slowly, with a blunt object, maybe a spoon.

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd just like to mention that teaching English as a foreign language is the only thing that ever crosses my mind. If anyone would like to discuss something else, please do it in private.

    p.s KOTESOL rules

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi All:

    I hope everything is going well with you.

    I just have a little story to tell. Yesterday I had an unusual conversation with some of my 5th-grade students at Daejin Elementary. Daejin is a small sea-side town located very close to the DMZ and many of the students that attend that school live in that town or in the near vicinity.

    During break time between classes yesterday morning, some 5 or 6 of them approached me while I was standing close to the board and persistently started repeating a couple of words in Korean to me. I kindly made it clear to them that I did not understand, so two or three or them came forward and began looking for words in English while the rest of them watched.

    I was doing my best to understand them, but was not succeeding in doing so. I teach my Elementary kids on my own, so there was no co-teacher around to interpret for me. Some of them were saying the word "afraid" and making mime gestures like saying they were cold or fearful. At one point one of them, a very smart girl, drew a map of the Korean peninsula on the board and drew a separating line in the middle. Then an equally smart boy drew the shape of a missile close to it, so I clearly understood.

    My elementary school kids were telling me they are afraid of North Korea and its newly-acquired nuclear capabilities.

    Most of my 5th graders are truly beautiful in more than one sense and they are all so eager to learn and communicate that it is very often a joy to teach them.

    Take care and enjoy your teaching.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home