David and The Lingering Sadness...

Monday, October 30, 2006

Wedding Bells

Today I attended my first ever Korean wedding. The night before I had also attended my first ever wedding party with the bride, groom and all there friends. It just so happened that the bride, SY, didn’t have too many friends from outside the hagwon (the school) so I was at least able to communicate with fair bit of the crowd there. The groom, HT, is a top bloke I’d met on a few occasions and I was introduced to his friends, most of which were working in the police department like HT
I got along well with his friends, probably a little too well as they kept insisting that both Aa (the new guy) and I drink copious amounts of beer with a shot of whisky dropped in (literally a shot glass of whisky dropped into a large beer mug). Its not quite as vile as soju bombs (soju in beer) but it has a more potent kick and within 15 minutes Aa and I could both feel the effect from it.
I gave up shortly after that and joined 3 of the other teachers at another hof (pub) for some serious heart-to-heart talks about life, marriage, and my long-term single status which apparently is quite a common topic of conversation at the hagwon.
Hmm…
The wedding day was simply glorious. My date for the day was one of my Chinese university students, M-ah, who, well, I’ve kind of been seeing. She came to my apartment before we’re picked up by one of the Korean teachers and taken directly to the wedding.
Korean wedding halls are amazing. Not so much that architecturally they’re anything to rave about, well not in Andong anyway, but just the way its set up. The Shelia Wedding Hall (실라) has 8 main wedding rooms. Each wedding room hold wedding after wedding, most not taking any longer than 30 minutes at a time. So as you can imagine they literally churn out married couple, and today was no exception. I’m not sure that many couple get married every Sunday, but it was a full roster and I reckon at least 30 couples alone got married today while I was there.
The wedding is brief, only 20 minutes, and really more a formality than anything. I wouldn’t say they were very emotional, well not for spectators anyway, but it was pleasant and I did enjoy it.
SY (the bride) looked absolutely beautiful and for about 15 minutes before the wedding we’re together just talking to her (5 or so girls and me) and keeping her calm. In fact I was the only male on her side of the wedding, so I think I experienced a rare moment of female bonding that most males probably wouldn’t see to often.
Anyway, enough of me yacking away, here are the pictures and video (only available to staypuff "friends")
David

4 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear David,
    I hope you step on a rusty nail, and Korea runs out of tetanus shots, and your whore of a new pinko skum girlfriend has her tongue in your mouth when you get lockjaw.

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    atta boy David... after being rejected so many times by real women you've started abusing your status as a teacher to start harrassing students.

    Makes sense I suppose... considering their grades depend on it... its not as easy for them to tell you you're a wanker.

    p.s you are a wanker

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Most males won't ever witness that level of bonding because they are not homos. You are a homo. I hate you more than words can say.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    David,
    The next time I see you, I'm holding you down and making the nearest old woman check you for a penis. If I'm right, and you don't have one, I'm sticking a firecracker up your vagina.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home