David and The Lingering Sadness...

Friday, September 22, 2006

Things I notice in Korea (and presume you'd like to know about)

Hi Everyone:I live in the town of Pyeonyang, just some 100 Km away from the DMZ. There is a Korean Army training camp just a few blocks away from my office. Yesterday afternoon there were some Artillery exercises conducted at the training camp, and, boy! Did those cannons sound loud! I wonder if they were loud enough for you to hear them.There had been other Artillery exercises in the vicinity before, but, for some reason, yesterday's were particularly noisy, to the point of disturbing my work. I was even able to see the smoke after some of the shots. I assumed they were using live ammunition, so I was not concerned about where any ordinances would land.Later on I spoke to a staff member who served in the Korean army and he confirmed that, indeed, they use live ammunition for those exercises. My students got a bit nervous after the 4th or 5th shot, but I guess it was just another day in the life for the people of Ganseong. Take care and enjoy your work.

Take care of yourself, and each other.

Jerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home